2/7/06

'Sweet Illusion' Ryan Adams

'I can feel the sweet illusions coming, sweet confusion honey, sweet illusion coming down.'




1) Food is where the future of Fashion lies

2) Fashion is Dead!

3) We maybe in the season of opulence but soon we will strip that all away to become as minimalistic as possible. This stage will be known as the hangover period.

4) A word that must become a part of your vocab is GLOBICAL! Which means that even though a product is distributed globally it still must cater to its local environment.




Now you maybe asking yourself.. Where is she going with this?

Well yesterday during our contemporary Communication class we were fortunate to have a c0-founder of the future laboratory Martin Raymond be a guest speaker. Now if you don't visit the link here's a brief summary of what they do.

The future laboratory is a trend forecasting company, when fashion is heading east they look west, when everyone is looking up they look down just so they can always be on top of what will be making an impact on contemporary culture.

It all sounds pretty fabulous and he definelty kept my interest with images of hotels and restaurants that at first look looked anything but. I mean did you know that there was such a thing as a bullet proof duvet or even a bullet proof brooch. Yeah me either.

I was beginning to get all wrapped into the idea that pretty soon we would be throwing out all of our useless material objects and even start buying less but then he said this is what he saw for the year 2008.

Yeah not too far away.

After some speculation and phone convos with Natalie and Fariel I came to the conclusion that theres no way you would find me living in a shed on a roof of some building. Hopefully I will have a real paying job then so I see myself actually buying some furniture, imagine owning like pots and pans and maybe even a couch.

All of a sudden what he was pitching to me just didnt seem likely. I know I can't predict the future but something just tells me theres not going to be such a drastic change in a few years.
Even if the changes he is talking about did start to occur it only seems feasible in the upper class systems.

His images are excellent, his intelligence is awe worthy, and he knows how to keep 70 people engaged but I didnt believe him.

Maybe am not trendy enough.. who knows!

I feel the extraordinary ideas he presented are going on in ordinary places already I just dont feel they are going to take over the world.

But then maybe he doesnt mean it that way. I can see elements of it seeping into mainstream but the whole package is overwhelming!

So anyways thats what happened in class yesterday!

No comments: